Apply as a Freshman
You should apply as a freshman if you have never attended college before. Here's what to do:
1. Check our deadlines. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. For priority consideration, please submit your application as early as possible. If you wish to be considered for Early Action, the deadline is November 15. For regular admission, submit your application no later than March 1.
2. Submit the application. We encourage you to apply online using either the Common Application or the State University of New York (SUNY) Application. If you would prefer to apply on paper, you may download the application form. Submit the US$50 fee with your application, or request a fee waiver.
If you’re interested in applying to SUNY Polytechnic Institute (formerly UAlbany’s College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering), please visit their website for specific application information.
3. Ask your high school to send us your official transcript or submit the SOAR. All freshman applicants are required to submit an official transcript from their secondary school or submit the SUNY Online Academic Record (SOAR). Please note: all enrolled freshmen will need to supply an
official high school transcript with graduation date or the equivalent
before the start of classes. Transcripts can be sent directly to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12222
4. Arrange to have your official SAT or ACT scores sent to us. UAlbany's code for the SAT is 2532, and the ACT code is 2926.
5. Submit a 250- to 500-word personal essay. Choose a topic that interests you, or browse our suggested topics. If you’ve already completed the essay component on the Common Application or SUNY Supplemental Application, you do not need to submit another essay.
6. Submit one letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor. You may download a recommendation form, if needed.
- Admissions Requirements
- Admissions Viewbook
- Veterans Affairs
- Certificate of High School Graduation