Reimbursements for Lunches & Receptions
Often, University employees meet with persons during a meal, conference, or reception where the employee may purchase food or beverages in consort with the activity. State Comptroller regulations specify that employees can be reimbursed for the costs of food and lodging (within prescribed limits) while in travel status. However, the State Comptroller's office will not pay for reimbursement of internal meetings, lunches, or seminars, based on the presumption that the employees would have to purchase food or beverages regardless of the meeting, etc. and that the State will not pay for employee meals, etc. while the employees are not in travel status.
When recruitment is the reason for the meeting, the candidate's and his or her spouse's travel and meal costs will be reimbursed; however, the meal costs for faculty or University staff involved in the recruitment process will not be reimbursed.
To decide if reimbursement can be made, functions are divided into two types: those that are open to off-campus public and those that are primarily University activities. For purposes of this policy, if an activity is announced outside the University, the activity is considered an off-campus public activity. Conversely, if the activity is not announced off campus, the activity will be defined as on-campus activity.
TYPE 1 - Activity Open to Off Campus
Food or beverage costs associated with lunches, receptions or conference meals advertised to the off-campus public are allowed. The following documents will be required:
- Properly prepared and approved requisition.
- Vendor invoice(s) documenting all costs submitted for payment.
- List of attendees.
- Copy of function notification and agenda.
- Memo of justification.
TYPE 2 - Activity Attended Primarily by University Personnel
Food or beverage costs for activities advertised only to the campus community will not be allowed.
However, some accounts provide allocation (because of their unique nature) for payment of lunches, dinners, etc. for the participants of a program, as well as counselors, etc. These accounts will be allowed to make such expenditures upon submitting the information noted above for TYPE 1 expenditures.
Alcoholic beverages will not specifically be paid by the Comptroller under any circumstances.
Also, please note that Chartwells has exclusive rights to provide food services for functions held on campus and should be contacted for such services when functions are being planned.
Chartwells Invoicing and Payment Process - Effective 1/1/03
- The campus department will review the policies and procedures pertaining to Reimbursement for Lunches and Reception above to ensure that the event can be paid for from State funds.
- The campus department will submit an original signed purchase requisition to Chartwells for food service functions.
- Chartwells will verify that the account number and signatory are valid.
- If the cost of the function is $1,499 or less, the department will keep the list of attendees and agenda in their finance office for post audit.
- Chartwells will submit semi-monthly invoices for State Purpose and Research Foundation functions that cost $1,499 or less.
- The Accounting Office will review the monthly documentation and process payment to Chartwells.
- If the cost of the function is greater than $1,499, Chartwells will submit an invoice directly to the department. The department will submit the Chartwells invoice, list of attendees, agenda and justification, if necessary, to the Accounting Office for review before payment is processed.