UNIVERSITY PLANNING AND POLICY COUNCIL

 

April 4, 2005

Meeting Minutes

 

 

Present:          R Baum, N. Claiborne, R. Geer, J. Hanifan, F. Hauser, T. Hoff, G. Kamberelis, S.B. Kim, J. Langer, K. Lowery, C. MacDonald, J. Mumpower, K. Murray,

G. Paul, S. Stern, J. Wick-Pelletier, E. Wulfert

 

Guests:            P. Leonard, P. McCormick, L. Videka

 

Minutes:            The minutes of February 7, 2005 and March 7, 2005 were approved.

 

Provost’s Report – Presented by Interim Provost Jeryl Mumpower:

 

Interim Provost Mumpower reported that if the budget proposal holds as is, there should be money for several CNSE initiatives, the East Campus, the Life Sciences building FFE and shell completion, the new entry building, and Brubaker Hall repairs.  State aid, EOP and TAP were restored.  Discussions that might lead to a modest tuition increase of $150 are expected to be linked to a reduction in state aid.  It is not certain whether graduate tuition will be affected.  It was asked if the idea of having a cost of living tuition increase is no longer being considered and Provost Mumpower noted that yes, the so-called “rational tuition” policy is no longer being considered.

 

In enrollment matters, the campus is down substantially in applications from group 1 students.

 

University Facilities Committee (UFC), Frank Hauser, Chair:   Dean Paul Leonard introduced the plan for the new School of Business building.  Planning for the new building has been underway for some time.  President Hitchcock and Provost Santiago approved the idea of a new school of business in fall 2003.  A steering committee was set up and they worked with the facilities department. The steering committee interviewed architectural firms and an architect was selected to develop a building concept plan.  The new building has been sited opposite the new administration building on the entry to the campus and this was approved by Interim President Ryan.

A focus group of faculty, students and alumni selected the concept plan.  The projected cost of the building project is $37 million.  Fifteen million of this is to be raised through fund raising.  Spaces in the building and the building itself are to be named.  (SUNY has rules about the dollar amount required for naming.) Matching funds will be obtained from the SUNY construction fund and some funding will be obtained from the campus capital allocation.  (There are currently two major projects ahead of the SOB building for campus allocation funds and these are the life sciences building and the university entry.)

The building is to be twice as large as the space currently occupied by the School of Business in the business administration building and this will allow for growth.  The building will have 45,000 net sq ft, and 75,000 gross sq ft.  It will contain 12 new classrooms, twice as many as currently available in the business administration building and in addition, the plan will meet the need for larger classrooms.  There are common spaces in the building for students.  In addition, the school's capital campaign envisions an endowment of $30 million is to be raised for scholarships for students, student services, and faculty support.

It is anticipated that ground breaking for the new building be in the fall of 2007.

The question was raised as to what will be done with the vacated space in the school of business.  John Giarusso explained that the space would be used as swing space during renovation of other buildings on the campus.

It was reported that the University Facilities committee of UPC unanimously and enthusiastically voiced their support for the plan.

The committee then heard a presentation on proposed changes to the entry mall leading to the University.  The proposed change will result in a much smaller circle and a student square.  A detailed plan for the square has not yet been developed.

 

Professor Geer asked if the proposed building will allow the school to significantly expand.  Dean Leonard replied that the plan includes 55 faculty offices; currently there are 31 faculty.   The new building will enable the School of Business to grow back to levels it once had, it will support an increase in faculty and contain more rooms for student services.  The larger classrooms will allow for more students.

 

Professor Hoff asked if a portion of the 37 million will come out of the campus capital budget.   Dean Leonard explained that he would expect to take advantage of the current 3:1 matching policy, that is if he had   $15M in donations the SUNY Construction Fund would give him $5M.    Vice President Lowery noted that while the matching program is not in the budget now it is expected to be reinstated with perhaps better than the current 1 to 3 match.  She said they will begin working on getting the rest of the money into the capital budget now.  Professor Hoff asked if there is a scenario worked out for the “worst case” in case they can’t get the money.   Vice President Lowery said if the donations for the project fall short, they will have to work on other ways to raise the money, maybe borrow against endowments. 

 

The Council members asked for more detailed information about the fundraising for the building and parking considerations before they make a decision on this proposal.

 

Discussion on the proposed Gen*NY*Sis Center for Excellence in Cancer Genomics – Guests:  Interim Vice President for Research Videka and Professor Paulette McCormick:

 

Vice President Videka explained that this is the first Center proposal to come under the new Senate Bylaws directing that Centers must come before UPC then go to the full Senate for review.

 

There was discussion on faculty hires and resources.  A detailed spreadsheet on the projected budget by UPC for further discussion.  The Council members agreed that they need a more detailed revenue plan before making a decision on this proposal.

 

Resource Analysis and Planning Committee (RAPC), Nancy Claiborne Chair:  Professor Claiborne reported that the committee met with Vice President Lowery to discuss the revenue portion of the budget.  The committee will again meet with Vice President Lowery to discuss the expenditure portion.  A full RAPC report should be available in May.

 

University Resources and Priorities Advisory Committee (URPAC) - (Representatives Tim Hoff and Edelgard Wulfert):   Professor Wulfert reported that URPAC is continuing to  meet with the Deans and Vice Presidents to discuss the potential implications for their units if the University faces further budget reductions.  

Council members discussed the confidentiality of URPAC issues.  Interim Provost Mumpower explained that discussions of URPAC are indeed confidential and that there are good reasons for them to remain confidential. The council is advisory to the President and council members need to be able to voice their opinions freely.  Vice President Lowery noted that there will be something substantive that will come to UPC from URPAC and suggested that the roles of URPAC, RAPC and UPC be made clear so that work is not being duplicated.  Professor Wulfert suggested that, as in the past, the URPAC representatives will first meet with Interim Provost Mumpower to discuss the details of the report before presenting it to UPC. 

 

Student Satisfaction Survey:  Professor Wulfert reported that collection of the surveys has been completed and the surveys were scanned.  Over 85% of the students provided contact information, and a total sample of 60 students, 20 each who were either dissatisfied, neutral or satisfied with their experiences at UAlbany, have been identified. The purpose is to invite these students for in-depth structured interviews with faculty or doctoral students from Psychology to identify in greater detail with what aspects of their experiences at UAlbany students are satisfied or dissatisfied.  Students are offered an incentive ($10.00 payment) for their time and effort to participate in the interviews. The interviews are currently being scheduled and will be completed before the semester ends.

 

Provost’s Task Force on Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism:  Interim Provost Mumpower reported that the Task Force will be developed to be proactive, and to discourage dishonesty and plagiarism.  President Hall fully supports the idea and would like to create such a group.  UAC, GAC and UPC will each have representatives on the task force.  He asked for a volunteer to represent UPC.  Professor Jil Hanifan volunteered for the position. She explained that her name is being forwarded from her department as a representative and she would like to do both, represent her department and represent UPC.  Dean Wick-Pelletier said she would be happy to forward her name to Dean of Graduate Studies, Marjorie Pryse.   There was a motion to elect Professor Hanifan to the Task Force as the UPC representative.  All were in favor; Professor Hanifan will be the UPC representative on the Task Force.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Jayne VanDenburgh, Recorder